Saturday 6 March 2010

The German Chocolate Cake

Aunt CC's 60th Birthday Request...a true to form german chocolate cake.  I was happy to accommodate.  Tearing from my typical tweaking and making it up as I go along, I stuck by this one to make sure the cake came out as authentic as possible.




Top challenge:  Fluffy Whipped Egg Whites.  I struggle with forming those darn peaks.  Meringues & folding in whipped whites... pesky tasks ... The snow storms don't help.  (water in the air makes it more difficult - impossible to form peaks) 
But I always love how the batter looks with gorgeous brown swirls.  Thus, I geeked out and took a photo opportunity.

Into the oven she goes - "Good Luck!" as my Nana would say, blessing all oven entries.
I topped the middle layer cake with extra coconut for additional texture, not knowing if I would have enough frosting to coat the middle, as well as the outside of the cake.  Covering all the bases to assure delciousness.  There was a plethora of batter, and the recipe could easily have been cut in half to make a slightly shorter stacked cake.

While the chocolate lovin' is in the oven, I whipped up the gooiest classic coconut frosting for a traditional German Chocolate Cake.  The ONLY substitution I made through the recipe was almonds versus a traditional pecan.  *gasp* Sue me.  Almonds trump pecans.  By far.

To prevent breakage, smooshing, and a mess in the car I decided to bring the components and assemble at my aunt's after dinner.  (note to self:  parchment paper is a gift from God.  I will never again grease a cake pan.)  The frosting juuuust covered the whole cake, with a little in between to hold the layers in place and add to the flavor & textures of the cake itself.  Top it with a few candles, pull out the matches and make a wish!

Unfortunately, I am an idiot and didn't bring my camera.  Thus, the only photo evidence is located on my phone presently.  Being extremely technologically advanced - I have yet to figure out the whole "mobile upload" feature still.  Britty can show me.  Or do it for me.

Recipe below, customize to your liking - try different nuts, extra chocolate shavings...whatever you fancy.  Do what comes naturally.  Don't play by the rules.  Just bake.

Bon Appetit!

Tradtional Germanchokolatekake
2 oz chopped dark chocolate (65% or more)
2 oz chopped baker's chocolate
1/2 c. boiling water
1 c. melted butter
2 c. sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. sifted cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. buttermilk
4 egg whites, stiffly beaten

Melt chocolate in boiling water.  Set aside.
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy & smooth. Add egg yolks, one at a time. Blend in vanilla and melted chocolate. 
Sift flour with soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to chocolate mixture beating after each addition until smooth. 
Fold in beaten egg whites. 
Pour into two 8 or 9 inch pans, well greased.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Cool.

COCONUT PECAN FROSTING:



1 c. evaporated milk
1 c. sugar
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 c. coconut
1 c. chopped pecans

Combine milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened - about 12 minutes. Fold in coconut and pecans. Cool until a thick consistency. Spread on completely cooled cake.









No comments:

Post a Comment